Holiday Treats You Should Keep Away from Your Puppy


The holiday season is a time for family and friends to come together and cherish old memoriesand hope for many more in the new year! The most common way to celebrate these moments together is through food. Of course, we want all of our family members, including our fur-babies to be a part of the festive celebration.

You may be tempted to give your puppy the leftover table scraps or small pieces of food from your plate. A lot of these foods, however, aren’t safe for your pup to eat, and can make them very sick if too much is ingested. This holiday season, make sure you are aware of the following holiday treats to keep away from your puppy.

  • Turkey meat and bones. While plain white turkey meat is safe for puppies to eat in moderation, dark turkey meat and the skin are not. Dark turkey meat contains a higher amount of salt and fat, which can cause serious risks to your puppy’s health if too much is ingested.Turkey bones, like other animal bones, can cause intestinal obstruction in your puppy, and may require surgery for recovery.

 

  • Alcohol. Refrain from giving your puppy any form of alcohol or treats containing alcohol during your holiday festivities. These include cakes and baked goods soaked in hard liquor or containing yeast dough. Alcohol poisoning in puppies is very common when the holiday get-togethers begin, and can have damaging effects to your fur-baby’s health. If you think your pup has ingested alcohol, take them to the vet immediately.

 

  • Raisin treats and cakes. Raisins, like grapes, are extremely toxic to dogs, making many holiday cakes an immediate health hazard for your puppy. Eating raisins can cause significant and potentially fatal renal failure for your puppy, and treating it can also be very expensive. So, while it may be delicious for you and your loved ones, keep fruit cakes and raisin treats away from your puppy’s mouth.

 

  • Chocolate. Chocolate is a yummy holiday treat for parties and gifts, but it can make your fur-baby sick. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which a puppy’s body isn’t built to digest. This chemical can cause serious cardiovascular problems in your pup, especially if the chocolate ingested is heavily concentrated.

 

  • Onions, garlic, and seasoned foods. The holiday season often brings seasoned food along with it, such as gravy and garlic. Ingesting these foods can cause a number of digestive problems in your puppy. Onions and garlic, for instance, contain organosulfides that can directly cause your pup’s stomach to become upset. It can also damage your fur-baby’s red blood cells. Similar problems can occur if your puppy eats other seasoned foods, like gravy and rice and beans.

 

As puppy parents, it’s up to us to keep a close watch on what our puppies can or can’t eat, and ensure that our guests don’t feed them any bad foods. To avoid any potential problems, consider crating your puppy or placing them in a quiet room or area where all food is out of reach. You can also make sure to keep foods out of reach. This way, you and your puppy can safely enjoy the holiday celebrations.

To find out about ways to keep your pup calm during the holiday season, check out our other blog: 5 Ways to Keep Your Puppy Calm During the Holidays.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *